Sunday, May 31, 2009

Taut Tan & Gooch Contest

So Maddy, my daughter, and I, have decided we're going to do a friendly competition to see who can improve their muscle to fat ratio the most in 30 days.  And we have found some neighbors and some docs and staff at my office, some patients and even some friends on Facebook who want to play along.  The key is that you some way to determine your fat mass and your muscle mass.  This is a friendly competition and everyone is on his/her honor in terms of accuracy.  But I have offered up a pre and post meaurement using my Biomarkers 2000 impedance tester which is very accurate and gives a print-out showing muscle, fat, bone and water mass readings. A very good explanation is available here: http://tinyurl.com/What-Is-BIA

But if you have access to any device that will allow you to objectively measure your percent body fat and percent muscle mass, you are welcome to use that instead.

Now for the plan:

Maddy and I will be doing our readings today.  Then I will be doing the "before" BIA analyses  from my office on Tuesday from 10 to noon and from 5 to 6 pm. for $5. Anyone interested should call me at (949)360-1112 to schedule in those time slots.  Also, I will be doing "after" readings on Thursday, July 2nd,  at the same times.

Maddy and I were going to do a 10 day detox (http://drharriott.blogspot.com/2009/05/10-day-detox.html#links ) as the first part of this, but we have a backpacking trip scheduled for next weekend and so we will start the detox next week.  

In the meantime, we are going to develop meal plans and workout plansfor ourselves on a weekly basis.  Here is were collaboration becomes really key...  If everyone participating posts meal plans for one or two days, we can cross populate and no one person has to be so creative. Today, Maddy and I will develop our strategy and meal plans we come up with and I will post that later today.

Anyone else who wants to post their meal plans, or any other comments or suggestions, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE A POST!

Thanks, and good luck. Scoring:  Every one percent of fat mass that is reduced with a corresponding increase in muscle mass of one percent will equal one point. Now I know that I said we would not be using the scale to measure progress.  But weight is required as part of the body scan and a tie will be decided based on total pounds lost.

Good luck everyone!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after I have reviewed it.