Friday, June 19, 2009

Alternative Sweeteners - Wow! Too Good To Be True?

So I finally made it to Henry's to buy myself some Stevia and some Xylitol to try out as an alternative to some other sweeteners I have been using.

I have been using fresh apple juice in my oatmeal with raisins, molasses, cinnamon and mashed banana. While I was OK with it, my daughter and son really missed the brown sugar we used to put in it. So I bought some Agave nectar, but while I was assured it is a lower glycemic product, I remain unconvinced.

So, back to the Xylitol and Stevia. What can I say, but "outstanding"? Stevia has a little aftertaste when I tasted it by itself, but once added to an actual food, I couldn't tell any more. ANd zero calories. And it is a safe natural herbal extract.

Xylitol still has 2/3 of the calories of sugar with the same sweetness, but it is still a low glycemic index product, so.... cool. Literally cool... Beccause it leaves a cool sensation on your tongue when you taste it alone, but not really a problem when in recipe. Oh yeah, and oral bacteria that cause cavities are actually reduced by the consumption of Xylitol.

I bought them both and will likely use Stevia most of the time, although the dental benefits of Xylitol will mean that I keep it in my cupboard to use as well.

I feel I'm in a too good to be true situation. Let me know if you know of any downsided to either of these products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after I have reviewed it.